Wednesday, 02 April 2008

Meet the potential ambassadors of SA - applicants applying the second time

May we introduce you to the applicants for the Tall Ships Race 2008!

Here is the first round of applicants. See what they have to say why they want to be part of this project.


Sakhekile Qoyi

17 years, Delft, Trinity Project International

Sakhe was selected for the first team last year. Last minute he couldn’t go because his passport wasn’t issued in time due to a public strike.

“An opportunity like this will serve as a steppin’ stone towards my future. The skills & experience I’ll gain from there will help me to give back to my fellow peers and also the community as a whole. And also one main reason why I want to go that it gives me a chance to representing this country in a different genre. This has been a long time coming for me I’ve been on the running twice already: the 1st time (2006) the funding didn’t come through; the 2nd time I was chosen for the first team, but I never made it because I didn’t have a passport. But I do now. I have passion, enthusiasm and excitement - I don’t know what will stop me.”

sakhekile.qoyi@gmail.com



Theo Braaf

19 years, Grassy Park, False Bay College, Boat Building Academy

“Last year I was one of the applicants for the race as well, but I couldn’t go due to my passport delay. This year is for me a big opportunity and I am really looking forward to it. I think I can represent my country quite well and would love to be in Team SA for the Tall Ships’ Race 2008. At the moment I am a Boat Building student at False Bay College in my second year and I am working hard to start my own boat building business one day”

theobraaf@yahoo.com


Valentino Scholtz
16 years, Lotus River, Christel House SA/
College of Cape Town

“I'm a real hard working person that's why I'm now at the college to Cape Town studying travelling and tourism. I think this trip is very much connected to my studies. Last year I was in the back up team and I hope this year is my year: I'm not coming second again - first is where I belong. I really would love to make my mother proud of me because she plays mother and father at the same time. I really want to make her happy and myself. I love talking to people and making them happy because I don't believe in putting people down. I don't want to write a story then I don't mean what I say so I'm keeping it short and sweet. When u see me you will believe me that I'm the youngster for this trip god willing”

valley.scholtz@gmail.com


Thandikhaya Ncosani


25 years, Khayelitsha, South African Youth Minister Program

“My plan is to build a centre for the youth in Khayelitsha. I am volunteering as a youth president in a high school implementing projects to empower the learners. I am also part of a project in Khayelitsha consisting of youth at risk who are participating in crime. The project is called Ooze Youth Saving projects, where the youth sings their own song and poetry reading. I would like to go to another country to see how people live there and to get ideas what we can implement here.”

tncosani@gmail.com


No comments: